Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11

This morning I found on most of the morning news shows talked about the elections, or some crazy man who was a base jumper and his parachute didn't open but he lived. So I turned to Fox and found the 9-11 memorial services. They even had all the names of the victims scrolling at the bottom of the screen. I then found MSNBC, which I NEVER watch. But they were showing the footage of news reporting that morning as it happened. I turned it on before the pentagon was hit and watched it until the second tower fell. I cryed a lot! In the middle somewhere I had to take Haylie to school but the kids watched it with me for the most part. I felt it was a really good teaching opportunity. You see, last night I noticed that in just the adds on TV my children saw 4 stabbing and a few people shot. These were for shows for entertainment purposes. This morning they saw 3000 people killed. I was able to discuss with Haylie and Freemen some of the realities of this world and the fight between good men and evil. Having just been in New York, right by the World Trade Center Site, I was deeply moved this morning and felt it appropriate to teach my kids about it even if they are so young. I feel the same way about teaching them about all the wars and fighting that we read about in the scriptures. I don't skip over when Ammon cut off the arms of all those men or when Nephi cut off the head of Laban. If the Lord wanted it written, who am I to change the wording when I read it to them.
When I was young I was frightened by some things they were trying to teach at school about war. My mother took the time to calm my fears and teach me more about the world and about right and wrong. I want to be the one to teach my children that way. Haylie even had the insight this morning to ask if Heavenly Father loves those bad men. Yes, Haylie, yes he does. He just isn't happy with the things that they do.

2 comments:

Katie said...

it's difficult for me to understand what happened that day. i wasn't even here in the US and when my mission president told me what had happened i had no idea what the "torres jimelos" meant. i was pretty knew and it just didn't translate to me. i wish i had been here. this day would have greater impact on me.

adamandrebeccacoughran said...

man ive been out of the blogspot for too long! i love reading your blogs! and im soo jealous that you went to ny and hey... you didnt mention that you saw wicked!!!