It's always the same. I pull into the parking lot and because I have all three kids with me, the closest parking space is a mile and a half out. If Greg is with me, we find the very closest space of course (not counting the handicaped). Then comes The Trek. Bella has wet her diaper through her pants which I don't notice until I've picked her up and cuddled her closely next to my hip. Next comes the, "Get out of the car Freemen, Haylie I don't care if you bring in your purse but leave the toys. No, I don't want them in my purse. Sorry Freemen I don't know where your sunglasses are and we won't be going home NOW to look for them. We'll find it later. Get out of the cars guys!" Okay, now we all hold hands in a line, which by the time we've made it the mile and a half my arm is about to fall off my body from holding Bella and she is beginning to pinch the fleshy backside of my arm. It has taken us three weeks to get there also because we have to stop twice to tie shoes, jump over every crack and stop to cry when Haylie drops the toy she insisted on bringing and was holding in her mouth because she had her purse in one hand and Freemen's hand in the other.
Shopping carts... I love them and I hate them. Germ infested. They're too hot or dripping wet from rain, or freezing cold if you get one from outside. If I get one from inside the store I have to go on a hunt... which only prolongs The Trek and my painful arm. There is also the standard fight with the kids about getting the "car" cart. Inevitably I'll get one and spend the entire time pushing the bus length cart around the store without the kids in it. I've never gotten a cart that didn't squeak and have at least one wheel that was soo broken that you could only make right turns.
Then the Chanting begins. I WANT!... no ...I WANT!... no ...I WANT! ...NO NO NO!!!
Once I'm done and back outside its almost home free... except for the shopping cart. Get the kids in the car all seat belted. Get the groceries in. Get the car started and beginning to cool (or heat up). Then it what to do with the shopping cart??!! Those little places to park them are always too far away and I was mad when I pulled in that each time I thought I saw an open parking space it ended up being for shopping carts. Now there isn't one in sight. Do I... A) leave my small children in my running car and politely return the squeaking cart across the lot to its proper place...B) push the cart in between 4 cars and pray it doesn't get a mind of it's own and wonder on over to scratch some one's paint job..or C) get so distracted when putting the kids in the car that I forgot it was still behind me and run over it sending it flying across the lot, and into some one's windshield?
I remember the day when going shopping, the only thing I carried was my purse and two bags out. And Shopping carts and begging kids were not a part of the experience. This is a new phase in my life. Love it or Hate it I wouldn't trade it for anything.
The reason why I love shopping carts is because I can put one (sometimes two) of my cute kids up in the seat of the cart. The whole time shopping their cute little heads are just at the right height for me to kiss all the way through the store.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I love it! First of all, it was funny to read because I can see it actually playing out in my mind. Second, I have a thing about squeaky wheel shaking carts that I cant stand either. But lastly I'd like to thank you.. i need no other form of birth control at this moment in time. The next time I get baby hungry I'll just think of this story or my nursery class.. or my latest favorite.. my job at the preschool. I thought that the fact that this kid spilt paint all over my clothes today was enough to convince me to hold off on having kids...or that I had to clean up melted chocolate from a carpet while assuring kids that it was not in fact diarea.
funny amy!
wow... I remember those days. I've gotten so used to just saying ashley.. or britany, ill be back, going to the store. Recently I did have to take a few kids and yeah.. never again. Good thing I was younger when I had kids cause theres no way now Id want to do it. As far as the shopping car goes.. unless I've parked next to the little place where it goes, I leave it bewteen my car and the next. I belive the lives of my children are more important than a shopping cart( hence not leaving them alone in the car )and they pay people to come out and get them =P. Oh, and not my fault if a car gets scratched..even though I do try to place the cart where it wont do that.
Just wait.. youll have teenagers someday and your complaints will change and youll wish you were complaining about shopping carts =P
love you amy!!
I love this! And I can not understand how in the world you do it with three... when I have enough trouble with one little Maddy! But I love you, and this post! Best post ever.... I laughed my butt of the entire way through it.
i am getting to the point of just hiring a babysitter and go shopping by myself- even if it's just for food!
Wow! I thought I was the only one who went throught that exact same senario. You feel like you copied the dialoge I go through everytime I take them to the store. I feel like I have to take anti-anxiety medication before each trip.
I feel your pain! I could have written your post word for word.
Post a Comment